Nevada Public Records Act (NRS 239) and Compliance Procedure for Truckee Meadows Water Authority
Truckee Meadows Water Authority (TMWA) is committed to providing access to public records in accordance with Nevada Revised Statutes Chapter 239. All public records, the contents of which are not otherwise declared by law to be confidential, shall be open for inspection or to obtain copies.
Contact Info and Forms
All requests to inspect and/or obtain copies of public records must be made through the TMWA Records Program:
Online Request Form
Guidelines for Submitting a Public Records Request
NOTE: These guidelines, procedures, and request form pertain only to the Truckee Meadows Water Authority and the information for which we have legal custody and control. If you seek information from another agency, please direct your query to that specific agency's public information office.
- For your convenience, a Public Records Request Form is provided at the link above.
- To ensure a timely response, concise requests are preferred.
- Be specific in your request, such as including the dates of records. Try to define the type of content and narrow the scope as much as possible.
- Include the requester's contact information, preferably with e-mail, physical mailing addresses and daytime phone number.
- Once your request has been submitted, the TMWA Records Program will coordinate the records search and response with appropriate staff.
- If necessary, we may ask for clarification so we can expedite the search for records relevant to your needs.
- Pursuant to NRS 239.0107, within five (5) business days of receiving a request for a public record, TMWA will:
- Allow the requester to inspect or copy the record, or
- Notify the requester that the office does not possess the information and provide the name and address of the entity that does, if know, or
- Notify the requester that the information cannot be available within five (5) business days and provide a date and time after which the record will be available to inspect or copy, or
- Notify the requester that the information is confidential and cite the statute or other legal authority to deny the request
- Due to the volume of requests, records accessibility, staff availability, and legal constraints, we may need a few days or weeks to locate and produce some records.
- Records are not always readily accessible. Both electronic and hard copy records are maintained in multiple locations and on multiple servers, with some records stored in Archives.
Truckee Meadows Water Authority is a not-for-profit, community-owned water utility,overseen by elected officials and citizen appointees from Reno, Sparks, and Washoe County.© 2016 Truckee Meadows Water Authority. All Rights Reserved